While technology can bring plenty of benefits to our daily lives, it can also mean that we are attached to technology and dependant of it almost 100% of the time. Our phones have replaced calendars, alarm clock, television, cameras and calculators. We don’t remember phone numbers or birthdays anymore unless our phones remind us
Social media enables a huge sense of connection. We can now connect with family and friends all over the world and be reachable 100% of the time, but at the same time social media brings a sense of deep isolation. We spend the days swiping, scrolling and liking others way of living, sometimes even feeling jealous about others lifestyle, while we are missing ours.
The number of people becoming addicted to social media is increasing considerably. Today, we spend an average of 2.5 hours of our days on our phones and this number is likely to increase over the years. So the question is, are you (like many other people) addicted to your phone? With emails, calendars, notifications, online shopping, banking and multiple social media accounts it can be difficult to disconnect and be more mindful about what's happening around you every day. So, here a few signs you need a tech-detox:
1. Do you check up your phone as soon as you wake up, before even opening the eyes?
2. Do you watch Netflix while having lunch/dinner?
3. You spend a weird amount of time worrying about your captions?
4. Do you experience a panic mode if your phone dies and there's no charger around?
5. Do you constantly compare your life to the way other friends or influencers are living it?
6. Do you feel frustrated and complain about not having time to do all the things you need to do because you spent too much time online?
If you answered yes to most or all the questions, it is time to evaluate yourself again and see if there is room for improvement. Our constantly connected lifestyle can frequently leave us feeling anxious and empty. If you could choose between taking 5 minutes to breathe and calm the mind or check your phone, what would you choose? Listen to yourself and what you really want, instead of what your phone is saying
It is time to LET IT GO!